Here are some healthy lunchbox ideas…
Replacing even a couple of items can help you maintain control over your lunches while you’re at work or play.
- BFL (Breakfast for Lunch): A toasted whole-grain waffle or pancake sandwich spread with almond butter. A variation: vegan cream cheese and maple sugar, stevia, raw honey or grade B maple syrup (Grade B is taken from the tree at the end of the season and has more nutrients). Add some fresh fruit on the side.
- Tomato sandwich. Coconut or soy yogurt in a single-serve container, a baggie full of granola or other high-fiber cereal, a package of dried fruit or fresh berries and a spoon.
- The Californian: spread a spinach or whole-wheat wrap with vegan cream cheese, shredded carrots, and your choice of raisins, shredded raw spinach, chopped black olives, and cooked black beans. Roll back up and enjoy.
- Chef Salad: Layer bite-size pieces of romaine lettuce and as many chopped veggies as you please: carrots, celery or mushrooms, halved cherry tomatoes, cooked beets, green beans, bell peppers. Add a little salad dressing to a cup and pack in lunch box. Fruit or wholesome cookies for dessert.
- Toss leftover cooked pasta with leftover cooked veggies or frozen peas, carrots and corn. Add almonds or sunflower seeds if desired. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan ( I like the rice vegan sprinkle cheese) and toss with a few tablespoons of Italian dressing (one part vinegar, one part extra virgin olive oil and a little bit of water). Organic apple sauce for dessert.
- Toasted whole wheat bread with a layer of peanut or almond butter and a layer of sliced banana. Handful of carrots and hummus. Fruit or wholesome cookies for dessert.
- Frozen bean burrito w/ salsa; a washed apple, and a whole grain granola bar.
- The Mediterranean: a small container of store-bought hummus, a baggie full of carrot, celery, and red pepper strips, and a package of whole-wheat pita cut into triangles. Dried or fresh fruit for dessert.
- Bean-based soup, chili, or stew in a thermos, whole-grain roll and dried or fresh fruit
- Left over lasagna (see recipe in my book for “baked macaroni” or spaghetti (or any left-overs) with some veggies or fruit as a side work great
- Grilled English muffin veggie pizza with vegan cheese (these are great cold or hot); grapes or apple sauce; handful of almonds
Other Snack Healthy Lunchbox Ideas and Snacks:
- Hummus with pita chips or veggie sticks
- Fruit/fruit dip; fruit kabobs; frozen fruit
- Crackers with peanut butter/hummus/salsa
- Carrot or celery sticks
- Fruit smoothie in a thermos
- Apple slices with cinnamon, plain, or drizzled with lime or lemon juice (to keep from browning)
- Nuts (if allowed) almonds, walnuts, etc…
- Dried cereal
- Pita bread
*Health food stores and health food sections of regular grocery stores offer great selections for lunch desserts and snacks